Sunday, September 8, 2019

Grand Marais

Today we came up the shore to Grand Marais. 42 years ago, we spent a year here, in my 3rd year of med school on the RPAP (rural physicians associate program). It was a wonderful year for a young guy and his wife, used to the north woods, but stuck in the metropolis for educational purposes. My preceptor was an amazing physician named Roger MacDonald. He taught me so much! He went on to direct the RPAP program. He finally retired 25 years ago and began his writing career, which has been prolific. Today we pulled into the Grand Marais harbor and marina and tied up just after lunch. Cindy went for a run and I lifted weights, and then I called Roger. We got together mid afternoon for an hour with Roger and his wife and had an absolutely delightful visit. He is now 95, sharp as he ever was, sadly can't play his fiddle due to rotator cuff issues, but still amazing. Best teacher I ever had and gave us a copy of his latest book, "Babe", a story of the Blue Ox.

We then went on a walking tour of Grand Marais. Much has changed, but much is the same. The shack Cindy and I lived in behind the Birch Terrace restaurant is really unchanged. It's still a shack and I am sure just as cold in the winter. We went to Joyne's variety store where Cindy worked. No change. The mints at the check out are in the same place they always were.

Other things have changed a lot. The whole town is a lot more phoo phoo. Lots of restaurants. Lots of Patagonia. Lots of people that need to eat more protein and less granola. I went to the fish market to get some local fresh fish but other than the smoked ciscoes, it all came from the west coast or Canada. I got the ciscoes but the guy that sold them to me was Amed from Istanbul. Where was Nils and when did Minnesota move? Anyway, it was nice to see the town from the lake side again, but as Cindy noted, we left Duluth 2 days ago, 2 hours from home and here we are, still just 2 hours from home. Tomorrow I think we are going to the Island, Isle Royale, for a couple of days, then to Thunder Bay to clear in. We'll see what the weather gives us.

Rice at the Folk School in Grand Marais, pretty dirty pickers

Grand Marais Harbor this morning leaving

The shack Cindy and I lived in during my 3rd year of med school

Sunrise Grand Marais harbor

Leaving the harbor this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment