Friday, March 1, 2019

Hoffman Cay





Yesterday morning we left Petit Cay and moved about 10-12 miles south to Hoffman Cay. There is a Blue Hole there we want to explore. As we left, we put out lines to troll and headed for deep water off the edge of the shelf, over 1000 feet deep. Unfortunately I deployed the lines a little early, in 75 feet. When trolling, I set the drag loose and when a fish hits, the spooling of the drag makes noise letting me know that there is a hit. Well, my hearing is crap. I was on the flybridge plotting a course on the autopilot and Cindy was below brushing her teeth. When she came up, she yelled "fish on". He had already spooled out 300 yards of line. It took me a half hour to reel the fish in, blistered my rod hand, but it was exciting even though it was a shallow water barracuda. I gaffed him, unhooked him and kicked him back. We trolled the rest of the way to Hoffman Cay with no hits. Made anchor at an idyllic spot all alone just off the blue hole we wanted to explore. Got a good snorkel in, and today will go around the corner in the kayak for some fish or lobster or whatever we can find.
Wading the beach behind the boat
Boat anchored out from the beach and trail to the blue hole

Big Howkie caught yesterday
exploring the cavern at the edge of the hole

blue green water

standing in the cave at the blue hole

Stalactites in the cavern at the blue hole
Cave entrance-we didn't go in
Overlooking the Blue Hole


No comments:

Post a Comment